January 11, 2014 will mark the 58th year of service for the Broward County Audubon Society, now known as the South Florida Audubon Society. Our more recent accomplishments include partnering with other organizations on conservation projects which include: urban reforestation, invasive exotic plant and tree removal, hosting edible gardening workshops and planting edible gardens, increased education and outreach to schools and the community, participation in the Audubon Urban Oases for Migrating Songbirds Program, sea turtle hatchling rescue and international projects in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
The Broward County Audubon Society has historically accomplished much since its early years in the late 1950's. Here are a few highlights of these:
The Broward County Audubon Society became an official nonprofit organization on January 11, 1956 and today is classified as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. The purposes and objectives of the Society, as amended since incorporation, were to:
a. Engage in any educational, scientific, investigative, literary, historical, philanthropic and charitable pursuits as may be, from time to time, elected by the membership.
b. Arouse public recognition of the value of, and the need for the protection of wild birds and other animals and the plant, soil, water and other conditions essential to their preservation and development.
c. Hold meetings, lectures and exhibitions, engage in other educational work in the interest of wildlife, its study and enjoyment, by both the members and the public.
d. Support the purposes and objectives of the National Audubon Society, Inc. of which the Society shall function as a Chapter.
e. Conform to the provisions of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and Florida Statutes Section 617.01 et seq.
Original Charter subscribers included:
Lenora Hortt of Pompano Beach
August Burghard, Fort Lauderdale
Ralph Andrews, Fort Lauderdale
Sarah Miller, Fort Lauderdale
Lafayette Dow, Pompano Beach
Donald Dye, Oakland Park
Margaret Dye, Oakland Park
Ruth Byrd, Fort Lauderdale
John W. Douglass, Fort Lauderdale
C. V. Bowes, Jr., Fort Lauderdale
Helen Rogers, Hollywood
George M. Polk, Jr., Fort Lauderdale
The first Officers and Board of Directors included the following nineteen individuals:
B. Brower Hall, Fort Lauderdale
First Vice President
George M. Polk, Oakland Park
Ruth Van Every, Fort Lauderdale
First Corresponding Secretary
Myrtle Gray, Plantation
First Treasurer, Becky Lou Stanley
Alberta Chartier, Fort Lauderdale
Margaret Dye, Fort Lauderdale
Lenora E. Hortt, Fort Lauderdale
Arthur D. Inwood, Fort Lauderdale
Paul LaRue, Fort Lauderdale
Lowry Porter, Fort Lauderdale
Mrs. Lowry Porter, Fort Lauderdale
Colonel James W. Porter, Fort Lauderdale
George Raz, Wilton Manors
Hubert W. Robertson, Fort Lauderdale
Richard D. Simpson, Fort Lauderdale
Paul Nelson, Fort Lauderdale
Jean Brooks, Fort Lauderdale
Donald C. Little, Fort Lauderdale
The By-Laws (as amended April 1986) are in the process of being updated by legal representative to the 2008-2009 Board of Directors. The By-Laws currently describe the parameters of membership and the relationship of Broward County Audubon Society to the National Audubon Society and Florida Audubon Society.
Membership meetings are to be held at a minimum of six times a year and include meetings in March, April and May with adequate notice to all members of these.
The By-Laws next delineate the election process, terms of office, and roles of the Board of Directors, Officers, and Committees. Fiscal and Administrative Polices make up the sixth area of the By-Laws followed by how the By-Laws would be amended and how, if necessary, the Society would be dissolved.
The newsletter for the new chapter of the National Audubon Society was named as the result of a contest held in November 1955. Kathryn Blessing won with her suggestion of Broward Warbler.
Samples of the Warbler Newsletter are available in pdf format. Click on the date to open the file.